I haven’t done a reading challenge on this blog ever, and I don’t think I’ve actually participated in one since I was a child and my library had one of those summer reading challenges – so I’m super excited to get involved with this one!
#TheReadingQuest is a reading adventure based entirely on a video-game quest. In this challenge, we’ll be embarking on a journey to conquer our TBR pile through a series of stages. We’ll read new stories, gain experience, and level up a character of our choosing.
The quest will take place between Sunday 13th August to Sunday 10th September, 2017. The sign-ups will be open from now until Sunday 13th August. I hope to some of you participating or cheering on those who are!
A huge thank you and shoutout to CW of Read, Think, Ponder. She is the amazing artist behind all of the super really incredibly cute character illustration you’ll see here. You can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and her stunning blog!
The basic mechanics of the reading challenge is simple: it’s based on a bingo board (termed The Quest Board for our purposes), each square on the board represents a stage (or reading prompt) you must complete.
For this Quest, I’m going to be a Mage!
As a Mage, this is my challenge:
As wielders of spells and witchcraft, these players will conjure and summon their way through the First Down path on the quest. Their tomes contain magic and whispers of alternate lands.
Along with the separate Character Class quest levels (Purple Squares), the centre of the Quest Board is a conglomeration of Side Quests (Blue Squares)! Complete these challenges to earn extra points and bonus experience for your character.
The First Book Of A Series // Every Heart A Doorway by Seanan McGuire
I’ve been wanting to read this book for a while. I love the portal fantasy and from what I’ve heard, this book turns the concept on its head and plays with the ideas of what could happen after the fantasy is over and you’re back in the real world. I’m super excited to start this one!
A Book Set In A Different World // The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
I’ve heard so many good things about this author and about the world that has been created. This is the first book in a huge series and I bought this one to give it a try so why not use this reading quest as an excuse?
A Book Based on Mythology // The Wrath And The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
This book has been on quite a few of my TBR lists and I’ve yet to read it – but I will come August 13th! I’ve heard mixed reviews about Renee Ahdieh’s work but I’m excited to finally read one of her books and make my own decisions on her.
A Book That Contains Magic // Frogkisser by Garth Nix
Basically a twist on the idea of the Princess and the Frog. There’s magic and fantasy and humour and I’m definitely interested in giving this a go and enjoying Garth Nix’s writing for the first time since my childhood.
A Book With A One Word Title // STAGS by M A Bennett
I got this book at YALC this weekend, was able to meet M A Bennett and tell her how excited I am about finally getting my hands on this book. I cannot wait to start reading this one!
- All characters will start off with 10 Experience Points (EXP), and each book (in any format: physical, eBook, or audiobook) they complete for the Quest Board will add another +10 EXP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give +5 EXP.
- The exception is for books written by marginalised authors. These books will earn your characters bonus EXP. For each book completed for the Quest, you will gain +20 EXP.
- Adventurers who complete their character’s quest before the challenge period will earn a +50 EXP. You will earn an additional +30 EXP for any additional character quest you complete after that.
- Because I am not interested in employing polynomials or convoluted equations for a reading challenge, I’m going to go ahead and say your character will level up with every +50 EXP. They all start at Level 1.
- All characters begin with 10 Health Points (HP). Every 10 pages you read during the Quest will give you +1HP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give you +1HP every 20 pages.
- Tweeting on #TheReadingQuest hashtag (with meaningful tweets about your current reads, roleplay with your current character, book recommendations) will earn you +1HP each. You can have a maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions
- Photos of your #TheReadingQuest books or TBR pile will earn you 1HPeach. This contributes towards the maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions mentioned above.
- We will catalogue the points at the end via a masterpost, and find out who The Quest Champion is! This requires all participants interested in the prizes to link up in the Masterpost at the conclusion of the Quest!
For this challenge, I’ll do a wrap up for every week, marking what’s been read and the points gathered. There will also be a wrap-up at the end of the challenge.
I can’t for August 13th to get started! 😍